The city clerk’s office issues various permits and licenses within the City of Sherman.
  • Garage Sale Permits
    Citizens are allowed to have two garage sales per year. Permits cost $5 and are valid for 5 consecutive days.
  • Alarm Permits
    Citizens are required to permit any alarm system, including the medical monitors worn around the neck. Permits are free and are good for two years. All permits expire on December 31 of even-numbered years.
  • Alcohol Permits
    The sale of beer, wine and mixed beverages are allowed by permit and zoning within the city limits. Applicants must contact the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) for the initial application to sell. The applicant must also pay the city fee, which is usually half of the state fee.
  • Itinerant Vendor / Solicitor Permits
    Any vendor selling door-to-door or setting up in a parking lot is required to obtain a permit. Permits cost $50 and the applicant must also present a copy of their sales tax permit, written consent from the property owner granting permission to set up on their property and an Itinerant Vendors Bond for $1,000. Permits are good for six months but can be renewed prior to their expiration for $10.  All sellers listed on application must also sign the authorization for release of information.
  • Junk / Secondhand Dealer Permits
    Any junk or secondhand dealer in Sherman must obtain a permit. The applicant must be at least 18 years old. Cost of the permit is $25 and they are valid for one year. The permits also require the applicant to sign a Junk / Secondhand Dealer Affadavit and obtain a Junk / Secondhand Dealer Bond for $1,000.  All sellers listed on application must also sign the authorization for release of information
  • Oil and Gas Well Drilling Permits
    A permit is needed to drill or deepen an oil or gas well in the City of Sherman and within 5 miles outside the city limits. Applicants should contact the city clerk's office to obtain specific requirements for their needs.
  • The City Clerk's Office also accepts Concrete Bonds and Roofing Bonds.